Perfectly balanced, this salmon endive recipe is an easy and delicious starter.
Ingredients for 4 persons :
- 4 endives
- 1 lemon
- 20 g semi-salted butter
- 1 tbsp. tablespoons of brown sugar
- 20 cl of liquid cream
- 1 pinch of Espelette pepper
- 4 slices of smoked salmon
- Salt, freshly ground pepper
Read also: health benefits and virtues of chicory
Endives with salmon
- Remove the core and the first leaves of the endive. Wash them, lemon them. Cut them in half lengthwise.
- Cook them in a pan with semi-salted butter. Sprinkle them with brown sugar, cover and cook over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes (turn them halfway through cooking). Let them cool (about 30 minutes) and squeeze them to extract as much water as possible.
- In a salad bowl, prepare the cream sauce: arrange the salt, add the liquid cream, pepper and chilli, mix well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Roll the endives in the slices of salmon. Arrange them in small plates and serve them with the cream sauce.
Find out more about endive
Endive: Also called chicory or witloof (in Belgium), this winter vegetable was born in the 1940s in the botanical garden of Brussels. It was his head gardener, Franciscus Breziers, who gave birth to the first variety by forcing wild chicory, inspired by the unexpected discovery of a farmer who had hidden his harvest in his cellar and covered it. of land (to avoid tax!). Thanks to the humidity, the heat and the darkness of this cellar, white leaves had grown on its chicory plants: endive was born!
Read also: cultivating endive well
Recipe: A. Beauvais, Photo: C. Herlédan