Stokesias laevis delight us with their superb, often spectacular blooming in summer.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name: Stokesia laevis
Height: 40 to 50 cm
Ground: Ordinary, well drained
Flowering: June to October
Planting and maintenance of asters of China are things you can do to improve growth and flowering.
Planting stokesias laevis
The planting period varies according to the species and takes place atautumn but you can also plant in the spring provided you take care to water well at the beginning.
Stokesia is hardy since it is resistant to negative temperatures down to -15 ° in winter.
- Stokesia laevis enjoys the Sun and partial shade
- Space each plant approximately 40 cm
It's important tofollow certain rules to have a beautiful floweringand a good development of stokesia laevis
- Choose a sunny spot as this promotes flowering.
- Avoid areas that are too humid, the soil must be well drained
- When planting, especially, but also during the flowering period,waterregularly.
Multiply a stokesia laevis:
Stokesias laevis are vigorous plants that quickly take over their space and even tend to deplete the soil in which they grow.
In the fall, you canmultiply your stokesias laevis by dividing their tuft:
- Pull out the tuft that has become too invasive
- Replant the clumps or offer them to replant them in good sunny soil
- Water the newly planted asters
- Add fertilizer to the old tufts that have remained in their place
Pruning and caring for stokesia laevis
Stokesia laevis or Chinese aster is very easy to care for.
Cut the stems of faded flowers as you go, this promotes the appearance ofnew flowers.
Stokesia in pots:
Stokesia laevis in pots has higher watering and fertilizer requirements.
- Water when the soil is dry on the surface
- Once every two weeks, add fertilizer for flowering plants to prolong flowering and renew flowers
All you need to know about stokesia laevis
Originally from China, the stokesia which is also nicknamed thestokes aster in memory of the botanist who discovered it, looks like a cornflower giant. It is also called American blueberry.
D ’easy maintenanceand endowed with a certainhardiness, Stokesia laevis is prized for its abundant flowering throughout summer and even into fall when weather permits.
If the blue bloom is the most common, there are also white stokesias like stokesia laevis ‘alba’ and whtite star ’but also yellow flowers with Mary Gregory’.
Among the blue flowers we find both lavender blue with varieties known as "Klaus Jelitto", or pale blue with "Bluestone" and "Bluestar"
The many varieties of Stokesia laevis or Chinese aster offer so many colors to your garden.
Smart tip about stokesia laevis
There are many colors that it may be interesting to vary within the same bed.