Couscous is a delicious dish, traditional in North Africa, and so popular everywhere else.
Rich in vegetables and flavor, here it is accompanied by lamb, chicken and merguez.
Ingredients for 6 people:
Vegetables and spices for couscous.
- 6 carrots
- 3 courgettes medium
- 1 eggplant
- 4 turnips
- 1 branch of celery
- 2 beautiful onions
- 2 liters of chicken broth
- 1/2 can of tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 2 teaspoons of Ras el hanout
Meat for couscous:
Depending on taste, you can vary or mix the meat differently for couscous although the traditional recipe calls for lamb, chicken and merguez.
- 400 g of boneless lamb shoulder
- 6 chicken thighs
- 6 merguez
Royal couscous recipe:
The success of the royal couscous recipe also lies in a good choice of seasonal vegetables.
- Peel all the vegetables, wash them and also cut them into medium sized cubes
- Sweat the onions in olive oil and add the vegetables for about 2 minutes
- Cover the vegetables with the chicken broth
- Add the tomato paste
- Cook for about 30 minutes, keeping a slight boil.
- Then add the chickpeas and saffron
To note : If we likelightly confit lamb, it is better to start to brown it before cooking the vegetables and to continue cooking them afterwards with the vegetables.
Preparation of the meat:
- Start by cutting the lamb into equal pieces (about 4 cm sides)
- Brown the lamb in olive oil to brown the pieces well
- Then do the same with the chicken
- Add the paprika and cook for 10 minutes
- Put in the oven for 15 minutes
- Cook the merguez at the last moment on the grill
Preparation of the semolina:
For the semolina, we usually provide a full glass for 2 people.
- Boil 1 volume of water for 1 volume of semolina
- You can season the water with Ras el hanout
- Pour the water over the semolina and cover before serving for 10 minutes
How to serve couscous:
The ideal is to use a couscous or tagine dish.
- We then have the semolina at the bottom
- We place the pieces of meat on it
- We finally put the vegetables around
Decoration is also a matter of envy and taste, which should not be deprived of in order to make your creativity work ...
Couscous can be served with harrissa, but be careful, it stings!
Enjoy your meal !
To discover: the easy and delicious couscous